Volčji Potok Arboretum
The Volčji Potok Arboretum is located on the edge of the Kamniško polje plain. It is one of Slovenia's most frequented botanical gardens, worth visiting at any time of the year. Lying on an 80-hectare site, it supports 3,500 perennial flower, bush and tree species from around the world. The Arboretum's numerous plant beds have been conceived in such a way that different plant species complement each other but are at the same time displayed in all their individual beauty. The Arboretum's energy fields are believed to have a beneficial effect on human body's energy centres.
The earliest known mention of Volčji potok dates back to 1220, when a castle stood on the site of the present gardens. In the 17th century, a two-storey mansion was built at the foot of a nearby hill. The only preserved and restored parts of the mansion are a garden pavilion, a chapel and a stairway which led to the mansion's park, located on the site of the present Arboretum.
On the edge of the Arboretum, surrounded by pine woods, there is a large golf course with a small lake and a golf club building in the middle. Also worth visiting is the pavilion housing a permanent collection of animal sculptures by the Slovenian sculptor Janez Boljka.
- March: 8:00-18:00 daily
- April to August: 8:00-20:00 daily
- September: 8:00-19:00 daily
- 1 - 27 October: 8:00-18:00 daily
- 28 October to 4 December: dailly from 8:00 to 16:30
- 5 - 30 December: dailly from 10:00 to 20:00
- 31 December to 28 February: daily from 10:00 to 16:30
The last admission is one hour before closing time.
Distance from Ljubljana: 20 km
Route 1: Ljubljana - Domžale - Radomlje - Volčji Potok
Route 2: Ljubljana - Mengeš - Radomlje - Volčji Potok
Notes and additional information
- €5.50 for adults, €6.50 during the spring flower show
- €4.50 per person for groups, seniors, and secondary school and university students, €5.50 during the spring flower show
- €3.00 for children below the age of 14 years, €5.00 during the spring flower show
- €13.00 for families, €16.50 during the spring flower show
Guided tours for tourist and botanical-interest groups
All guided tours of the Volčji Potok Arboretum must be arranged at least 14 days before the desired tour date. Tours are available in Slovenian, English, German and Italian.
- €29.00 for a group taking a tour in Slovenian
- €50.00 for a group taking a tour in English, German or Italian.