Ljubljana by bus
Those wishing to travel on Ljubljana city buses, operated by the Ljubljanski potniški promet (LPP) public utility company, should purchase the Urbana public transport card. The Urbana card is available from LPP ticket offices, tourist information centres and most of the city's newspaper kiosks, news-stands and post offices.
The card is priced at €2.00 and can store up to €50.00 of credit to be spent on city bus fares.
The Urbana card can be topped up with cash at all the above mentioned sales outlets and the green Urbanomat ticket machines located across the city, mostly next to bus stops. The ticket machines accept both cash and credit and debit cards.
Visitors to Ljubljana who purchase their Urbana card from a Tourist Information Centre and keep the receipt can return the card to the place of purchase when they no longer need it and claim a €2.00 refund.
A single journey fare is €1.20. It covers an up to 90-minute journey regardless of the number of buses needed to be changed to reach the destination.
Two versions of the Urbana card are available: the yellow top-up card and the green monthly card. The top-up card, available from all the above mentioned sales outlets, is not issued in the cardholder's name so no identity document is required to obtain it. A single Urbana card can be used to pay for several people's fare. Such payments must be made to the driver, who selects the required number of fares on a special terminal.
The monthly card, which can, after the end of a monthly period, also be used as a top-up card, can only be purchased from LPP ticket offices.
During the card validity period, Ljubljana Card entitles you to unlimited free travel on city buses operated by the company Ljubljanski potniški promet (LPP).
Urban, integrated, and interurban bus services operated by the Ljubljana bus company, the LPP, also run to the nearby places such as Škofljica, Medvode, Brezovica, Iška vas, Vodice, Brnik (Ljubljana Jože Pučnik Airport), Polhov Gradec, Grosuplje, Vrhnika, Borovnica, Logatec, Videm/Dobrepolje, and Ivančna Gorica.
The LPP bus service network is divided into three zones. The entire city area is within the LPP Zone 1.
- Zone 1: The entire city area and the routes to Brezovica and Rakitna, Škofljica, and Smlednik.
- Zone 2: The routes to Polhov Gradec, Preserje and Ig, and Medvode and Vodice.
- Zone 3: The route to Videm and Grosuplje.
List of fares by zone
- €1.20 for Zone 1, payable by the Urbana city card
- €1.60 for Zones 1 and 2, payable by the Urbana city card
- €2.50 for Zones 1, 2, and 3, payable by the Urbana city card
All the three fares cover an up to 90-minute journey regardless of the number of buses needed to be changed to reach the destination.
- City bus timetables
- Information on city bus arrivals (SMS information on city bus arrivals (available to mobile phone users dialling 2929 from Slovenian mobile networks)
- Intercity bus travel: time-tables, prices and other information