Scotland fans, welcome to Ljubljana!
If you are on your way to Ljubljana for the football World Cup qualification match between Slovenia and Scotland on Sunday 8 October, here are some tips on how to make your visit to our city a memorable experience. We wish you all a great stay.
There is, of course, everything practical you need to know about getting to Ljubljana and finding your way around our city. To help you with all that, here is some useful travel advice from the British embassy in Ljubljana.
Where to hang out before the match?
On Saturday, the pubs and cafés at Petkovškovo nabrežje river embankment will be enhancing the atmosphere before the match (onwards from 11:00) with Slovenian beer and some local Taste Ljubljana dishes.
A beer lover's experience of Ljubljana
This guided tour gives you an opportunity to taste various local beers while learning about the rich history of brewing in Ljubljana.
Don't miss it on Friday and (extra, just for you) Saturday at 18:00.
Meet the dragon
Dragon is the symbol of Ljubljana and you must not miss taking a photo next to one of them at the Dragon Bridge. That way your folks will know you have visited Ljubljana. Our own dragon (pictured above) will also be around somewhere to greet you and wish you welcome.
Where to meet our dragon?
- Saturday, 7 October from 12:00 to 14:00, Ljubljana Old Town (Prešernov trg and Petkovškovo nabrežje embankment)
- Sunday, 8 October from 16:00 to 18:00, fan zone at the Stožice Stadium.
The easiest way to get to Stožice stadium?
- purchase the Urbana public transport card
- take the bus no. 13 or 20 at Bavarski dvor in the direction Stožice (exit at the final stop in both cases)
Here you can check the stadium scheme and other useful information provided by the Football Association of Slovenia.
What else you shouldn't miss when in Ljubljana
- Ljubljana Castle, sitting on a hill above the city, offering historic exhibitions and amazing views,
- taking a guided city tour each day at 11:00,
- trying out the local flavours in city's countless pubs, outdoor cafés and restaurants,
- if you are planning to prolong your stay, make sure to visit Bled, Postojna Caves and other Slovenian attractions.