Anyone trying pottery on the wheel for the first time will soon realize how much knowledge and skill is involved even in the simplest pottery products. Still, feeling and watching clay swiftly change its shape under your hands is a wonderful experience.
This workshop is for anyone who wants to try their hand at throwing pottery on the wheel, even absolute beginners, and you’ll work in pairs. Together you’ll learn about the properties of the clay, which is specially purchased by the studio of the Slovene Ethnographic Museum (SEM), where you’ll work. It comes from the area around Ljubljana and is entirely Slovenian. Together you’ll sit at the wheel and transform a kneaded clay ball into a unique cup. You’ll help each other tame the spinning clay, which tends to dance around the wheel when not quite under control. Together you’ll create the finished product, slowly emerging before your eyes.
Visitors can come back to the studio after about a week to pick up their cup once it has been fired. If you’re not staying in Ljubljana that long, the staff can arrange for it to be mailed to your home.
The price of the workshop includes
- presentation of the pottery tradition, one of the oldest trades in the world and Slovenia,
- introduction to and working with Slovenian clay,
- demonstration of the work,
- making a unique cup on the potter’s wheel.
€35.00 per person
Thursdays at 2 PM
Pottery studio, Metelkova 2 (enter through the coffee shop of the Slovene Ethnographic Museum), ground floor to the left
Number of participants
The minimum number of participants is 2 and the maximum is 12.
Slovenian, English, Croatian, Italian, German, French, and Spanish
- Comfortable clothing that you don’t mind getting dirty
- Long hair should be tied up, and short nails are recommended
- We advise you to remove hand jewelry