The Master Plečnik experience provides insight into the heritage of Jože Plečnik's soul. In small groups, you will explore the places and objects that formed an important part of the master architect's everyday life, from the playful streetlamps, his favourite coffee and a private lesson in his office, to the room in which he worked and slept.
This is a comprehensive journey along the traces of Plečnik's plans and visions, both on land and water. On foot and accompanied by your guide, you’ll get to know, piece by piece, one of Europe's greatest twentieth-century architects who bestowed eternal beauty and charm on Ljubljana.
A guided tour of downtown Ljubljana provides exclusive insight into his achievements and great vision, as well as countless interesting architectural details. Plečnik created a land and water axis with masterpieces that are now part of UNESCO’s World Heritage List.
Also offered as part of the experience are special animations, such as a lesson in Plečnik's office, drinking his favourite coffee in an intimate atrium, counting his original streetlamps, and a new VR tour of his masterpieces that are more difficult to access.
Master Plečnik is ready to welcome you to some hidden and less known corners, open the door to exclusive locations normally closed to the public, and surprise you with a picnic in his garden.
Included in the price
- Guided tour by highly trained Ljubljana Tourism guide
- New VR tour of Plečnik's works that are more difficult to access
- Picnic in the garden of the Plečnik House
- Private boat tour along the Ljubljanica river
- Coffee and snack at the Križanke Outdoor Theatre
- A lesson in Plečnik's office at the Faculty of Architecture
- Visit to the terrace of the Jože Plečnik High School
- One-way ride on the Ljubljana Castle funicular
- Walk to Šance Park on Castle Hill
- Surprise at the Plečnik Kiosk
- Participation in the "Count the Lights" contest held during the tour
- Small gift for adhering to the black dress code
- Plečnik sketchbook, pencil and mottos
- Outdoor sightseeing as scheduled
Every Thursday at 1 pm
Roughly 6 hours
TIC Ljubljana (Adamič Lundrovo nabrežje 2)
Number of participants
The minimum number of participants is 2 and the maximum is 7.
Slovenian and English
- In winter, from 1 November to 31 March, the picnic takes place inside the Plečnik House.
- If it rains, the experience is called off.
- The Agency reserves the right to change the program in case of bad weather or force majeure.
- If you do not book the tour online, you can buy a ticket at TIC Ljubljana during office hours.
- Please notify us in advance of any special dietary requirements you may have (vegetarian, vegan, allergies, gluten-free).
- You will walk a total distance of 5 km, which includes a walk uphill to Ljubljana Castle, so make sure you wear appropriate shoes.
The Master Plečnik tour is the result of creative cooperation between Ljubljana Tourism and the Nea Culpa tourism development and marketing agency, in partnership with: the Ljubljana Museum and Galleries, Ljubljana Festival, Museum of Architecture and Design, University of Ljubljana's Faculty of Architecture and Jože Plečnik High School.
The project was co-funded by the Slovenian government and the European Union from the European Regional Development Fund.