Triglav was first conquered in 1778 when four brave men reached its summit. At the time, it was an extremely difficult climb, especially where the knife sharp ridge connected Little Triglav with the main summit. It was so narrow, they had to sit on it as if riding a horse in order to cross it!
Later, when mountaineering became more popular, the ridge was artificially widened, the route was protected with cables, and Triglav became more accessible to regular people who wished to enjoy its view. And what a view it is - in nice weather you can see all the way from Austria’s highest mountains in the North, to the Adriatic sea in the South, the Italian Dolomites in the West and the endless hills and valleys of Eastern Slovenia.
In 1895, a local priest and Slovenian patriot Jakob Aljaž bought the land on Triglav’s peak and built a small metal shelter there. It is called the Aljaž Tower - it was constructed by five men who brought the parts of the tower to the summit and assembled it in five hours on an August day in 1895. The grand opening took place that same day, with Aljaž officially donating the shelter to the Slovene Alpine Society.