The nature reserve situated between the villages of Ig and Podpeč at Ljubljana Marshes is dedicated to conserving the unique natural environment of the wetland area known as Iški Morost. The reserve is crossed by a 1.3-kilometre nature trail called Koščeva pot (Corn Crake Trail). The trail, called after a rare and endangered bird species, offers a unique insight into the wetland wildlife and animal species.
Ljubljana Marshes' biodiversity
The wetlands of Ljubljana Marshes are inhabited by as many as 89 butterfly species and are the nesting habitat of a hundred different bird species, a half of all bird species living in Slovenia. Even larger is the number of different birds spending the winter at Ljubljana Marshes or stopping over on their migration route to warmer climates.
Ljubljana Marshes provide habitat for several bird species endangered across Europe and the world, such as the corn crake (Crex crex), the Eurasian curlew (Numenius arquata), the common quail (Coturnix coturnix), the Eurasian woodcock (Scolopax rusticola), the Eurasian scops-owl (Otus scops), the whinchat (Saxicola rubetra), the grasshopper warbler (Locustella naevia), and the northern harrier (Circus cyaneus).
Access to the Iški Morost Nature Reserve
- By bus: Take city bus no. 19 to Barje, get off at Lipe, and walk for two kilometres down the macadam road to the reserve.
- By car or private bus: Park your vehicle by the side of the road between the villages of Podpeč and Ig or in the village of Črna vas and continue of foot.
Guided walks along the Koščeva pot nature trail
Guided walks along the Koščeva pot nature trail, organized by the Society for Observation and Study of Birds of Slovenia, are available for groups by prior arrangement. Guided by a professional guide, an ornithologist, visitors are introduced to the unusual natural features of Ljubljana Marshes with a special emphasis on bird species. The walk includes a bird watching session.
Guided walks for groups of up to 25 people are available in Slovenian and English. Booking up to three weeks in advance is recommended.
Information and booking: Ms. Eva Vukelič, email@example.com.
Standard guided walk
- Duration: one and a half hours.
- Price for groups of up to 15 people: €45.00.
- Price for groups of more than 15 people: €3.00 per person.
Prolonged guided walk
- Duration: three hours.
- Price for groups of up to 15 people: €75.00
- Price for groups of more than 15 people: €5.00 per person