Ljubljana Castle, standing on a hill above the city for about 900 years, is Ljubljana's main attraction. The castle's Outlook Tower and ramparts offer some of the most beautiful views of the city, while the castle houses a museum exhibition on Slovenian history, a puppet museum, and a number of historical rooms such as the Chapel of St George, the Prison, and a video presentation room called Virtual Castle.
Ljubljana Castle, which can quickly be reached by funicular railway, also provides space for art exhibitions, houses a café, a nightclub, and two restaurants (Strelec and Gostilna na Gradu), and serves as a venue for cultural events, family entertainment, dance evenings, and open-air film screenings held under the title of Film under the Stars in the summer.
Ljubljana Castle's Outlook Tower offers the most beautiful views of Ljubljana and its surrounding areas. It stands on a site originally occupied by the Pipers' Tower, which was pulled down in 1813 following the French occupation, and later by a fire lookout tower, home of the city's fire watchman.
The exhibition Slovenian History
The exhibition, divided into six sections, covers the entire known history of Slovenia. It takes you back about 200,000 years in history, to the earliest traces of human presence in the area of present-day Slovenia.
Slovenia is a country with a rich tradition of puppeteering. This permanent museum exhibition set up by the Ljubljana Puppet Theatre introduces you to the history of puppeteering in Slovenia and the creativity of contemporary Slovenian puppeteers.
Ljubljana Castle and Funicular
- January to March, November: 10:00-20:00 daily,
- April, May, October: 9:00-21:00 daily,
- June to September: 9:00-23:00 daily,
- December: 10:00-22:00 daily.
Info center, Virtual Castle, Outlook Tower, Slovenian History, Puppet Museum, Chapel and Penitentiary
- January to March, November: 10:00-18:00 daily,
- April, May, October: 9:00-20:00 daily,
- June to September: 9:00-21:00 daily,
- December: 10:00-19:00 daily, Outlook tower till 21:00
Ljubljana Castle Time Machine
Join a time travelling tour through six groundbreaking periods in the history of Ljubljana Castle in the company of costumed castle guides impersonating different historical personalities.
Castle ticket including return funicular fare
- €10.00 per person for adults
- €7.00 per person for children and young people aged 7-18, students, senior citizens, and groups of more than 15 people
- €26.00 for families of up to two adults and at least one child aged 7-18
Castle ticket only
- €7.50 per person for adults
- €5.20 per person for children and young people aged 7-18, students, senior citizens, and groups of more than 15 people
- €19.00 for families of up to two adults and at least one child aged 7-18