The award is of great importance to Ljubljana as it puts us on the European and global map of sustainable cities. We are marking the year with a slogan Ljubljana.Zate./Ljubljana.For you., a lovely mascot dragon Flora and with a year-round program, preparing numerous events and activities in cooperation with different stakeholders, including City of Ljubljana public institutes and companies, primary schools and kindergartens, and non-governmental organizations.
Ljubljana's Green Topics in the Year 2016
|Smart waste management||Quality of the acoustic environment||Biodiversity and bees||Wood – nature’s invaluable gift|
|Local self-sufficiency||Green areas||Sustainable tourism||Sustainable tourism|
|Responsible water management||Energy efficiency||Sustainable mobility & quality of air||Eco-innovations green jobs & sustainable local management|
Among numerous activities throughout the year we put the following into focus:
- 13 January 2016, at 17.00, residents of Ljubljana are invited to the introductory event »LJUBLJANA. Green for you.« in front of the City Hall. We are going to switch on the green light, raise the European Green Capital 2016 flag and open an Info Point offering a diverse program every day
- 15 January 2016, at 14.00, opening of the photo exhibition »Ljubljana.For you.« at Krakovski nasip.
- 9 February 2016, official award of the title European Green Capital 2016 in Brussels.
- 10 March 2016, official opening ceremony of the European Green Capital 2016 in Ljubljana.
- June 2016, decision on the European Green Capital 2018 in Ljubljana.
A more detailed insight is available from the designated website at www.greenljubljana.com.