Tivoli Mansion: International Centre of Graphic Arts

Add to MyVisit Add to MyVisit

The International Centre of Graphic Arts is a museum housing a collection of fine art prints from the 20th century to the present day, a gallery for exhibitions of contemporary fine art, a fine art print publisher with its own printmaking workshops and the producer of the Ljubljana International Biennial of Graphic Art. It has a collection of over 3,600 fine art prints, 800 artists' books and numerous other art publications.

The bulk of the works included in the Centre's collection of fine art prints were created after World War II by some of the great names of the Paris School of the first post-war decades, members of the Cobra art group, artists from Eastern Europe and members of the Ljubljana School of Graphic Arts. The collection of artists' books and other art publications contains works by internationally renowned artists.

Library and Artists' Book Room

A rich collection of artists' books and other publications is available for public viewing and study on weekdays from 9:00 to 15:00. For more information call +386 (0)1 2413 805 or send an e-mail to breda.skrjanec@mglc-lj.si.

Printmaking workshops

Experimental and popular fine art printmaking programmes have been organised at the Centre's printmaking workshops, which are equipped with the technology for making silkscreen, lithographic and intaglio prints. Since 2002, the Centre has collaborated with the Associazione Amici della Galleria Spazzapan in Gradiška on a three-week artist-in-residence programme.

Ljubljana International Biennial of Graphic Art

The Ljubljana Biennial of Graphic Art, founded in 1955, is one of the world's largest and most renowned events of the kind. During its history it has received acclaim from artists, experts and public alike.

Opening hours


  • Tuesday to Sunday 10:00-18:00. Mondays and public holidays closed.
  • 24 December 10:00-14:00
  • 25 and 31 December and 1 January: closed

Location details

In the 13th century, a defence tower owned by the city's governor, Baron Jorg Alpfaltrer, was standing on the hill above the present Tivoli Mansion (Tivolski grad). The tower, known under the name of the Turn, was burnt down by the army of Ulrich II of Celje during his unsuccessful siege of Ljubljana in 1448. Baron Apfaltrer later built a mansion called the Podturn, which occupied the site of the present Tivoli Mansion. In 1601, the Podturn was purchased by Jesuits, who pulled it down and built a new mansion, which they used as a holiday home for themselves and their students. Later the mansion became first the property of the Catholic Church and then the property of the Provincial States.

In 1835, the Ljubljana Kazina Society opened a summer amusement park with a pub and a café next to the mansion. It was then that the mansion was given its present name. In 1852 it was bought by the Emperor Franz Joseph and let on a life-long lease to Marshall Joseph Radetzky. On this occasion the mansion was renovated. Its façade was redecorated in Classicist style and a number of new walking paths and gardens were opened to the public.

In 1865 the Tivoli Mansion was purchased by the Municipality of Ljubljana and subsequently a pool with a fountain and a stairway decorated with tongueless dog statues were built in front of it. The dog statues were created by the sculptor Anton D. Fernkorn around the year 1870. Until 1967, the Tivoli Mansion was a residential building.



  • Adults: € 5.00
  • Schoolchildren, Students, Pensioners, Groups: € 2.50

Stories of Ljubljana's Castles

Embark on an exploration of Ljubljana castles' past and present. Save money by getting a combined ticket to Ljubljana Castle, Tivoli Mansion, Fužine Castle, and Cekin Mansion.

  • €11.00 for adults
  • €5.50 for children

The ticket is valid for three days from purchase.


Pod Turnom 3 1000 Ljubljana

Phone: +386 (0)1 241 38 00

Fax: +386 (0)1 241 38 21

Email: info@mglc-lj.si

Website: Tivoli Mansion: International Centre of Graphic Arts

Offering includes

Trails / 1