Go to content

The Mengeš area in Ljubljana depression by the foothills of Gobavica, was inhabited very early.

9 ObcinaMenges pogled z Dobena Foto Arhiv Obcine Menges

Many prehistorical, Roman and Slav archaeological findings bare witness to this. The town was first mentioned in 1154 and gained square rights in 1867. Traditionally peasant settlement later became known as a centre of home crafts.

Today instruments from Mengeš, made in small workshops, are especially renowned. The church Sv. Mihael (Church of St. Michael) with a baptismal font, a work of architect Jože Plečnik, is worth a visit. There are numerous hiking routes around the town.