The Town Hall is considered to be a pearl of Baroque architecture and is one of the main sights of Ljubljana. It was built in the late 15th century by the master builder Peter Bezlaj. It assumed its present appearance between 1717 and 1719, when an annexe designed by Carlo Martinuzzi was added to it by the master builder Gregor Maček Snr. In front of it it stands the famous Robba Fountain, which will remain available for visits throughout the renovation.
The renovation will take place in two phases:
- from 20 July 2018: restoration of the facade, with the help of a construction stage (approximately 120 days)
- from 15 August 2018: renovation of the wall paintings in the inner atrium (approximately 90 days)
In the second phase of the renovation, the historical atrium, including sgrafitto wall paintings, the Narcissus fountain by Baroque sculptor Francesco Robba and occasional exhibitions, will not be accessible for visits.
The gathering place for the regular daily guided city tours, taking place at 11:00, 14:00 and 17:00 in the summer months, will remain in front of the Town Hall throughout the renovation.
The Town Hall guided tours, including a number of rooms which have so far not been open for public viewing, will also be carried out smoothly as scheduled, each Saturday at 13:00, throughout the renovation.