MGLC Švicarija, which operates as part of the International Centre of Graphic Arts (MGLC), was established on the initiative of the Municipality of Ljubljana in 2017, after a thorough renovation of the building was completed. Originally Švicarija was a wooden guest house opened in 1835, which soon became a popular excursion point for the residents and visitors of Ljubljana. The noted architect Ciril Metod Koch designed and built Tivoli Hotel on the same spot in 1909, which went on to become a well-known gathering place for artists, bohemians and workers. After the Second World War, many renowned Slovenian artists found their work spaces in the building. Today, this tradition continues as the MGLC Švicarija provides working and living studios to local artists, and residential spaces to international artists. It is also to be home to a public programme following the notions of "community, art and nature".
The hall on the ground floor and the courtyard in front of the building may be hired for a variety of events.