Turjak is a settlement on the top of the long Turjak slope known for the castle, named after the lords Auerspergs - counts of Turjak. It was first mentioned in 1220. The older, original castle stood further down on a steep rocky balcony.
The most famous representative of the Auersperg family was Andrej of Turjak. He lead an army that defeated Turks at Sisak in 1593. In a memory of this battle, knight games are organized at Turjak every year.
During the Second World War the castle was severely harmed. The renovation of the castle began in the sixties of the 20th century and is still in progress. In 1988 the castle was proclaimed a cultural and historical heritage and natural remarkableness.
The peculiarities of the castle are the round tower, bastilles, and a renaissance defence hall in a shape of triangle, one of the oldest of the kind in the whole Central Europe.
The tall house and chapel of Dalmatin, where Gothic frescos are partly preserved, are of Roman origin. The chapel was named after a known Protestant writer Juriij Dalmatin (1547-1589), who was hiding at the castle Turjak while translating the Bible.
The castle did not have a garden, but in its surrounding there are many footpaths. The forest near the village hides a cemetery with walls and a chapel. In a temple shaped tombstone the counts of Turjak are buried. Here the heart of the count Hanno Auersperg who fell at twenty three in a battle at Gaetta, Italy, is kept.