The library in the Seminary Palace is the hidden pearl of the Baroque Ljubljana. You enter through the impressive entrance portal, made in 1714 in the Luka Mislej's workshop, supported by the statues of Hercules, which are the work of the sculptor Angelo Putti.
The two-storey library was founded in 1701 on the initiative of Academia Operosorum members and was the first public library in Ljubljana. The library was dedicated to the public for 50 years, and then it was left to the theologians. In 1721, Giulio Quaglio painted the ceiling of the library. In it, the original equipment from oak wood (carpenter Josip Wergant) is preserved. Qualio's painting represents the Allegory of Theology that gives power to Faith, next to it are Hope and Love. A massive reading table is adorned with three baroque globes.
The library houses a number of medieval manuscripts and numerous precious prints, from precious incunabula to original baroque opera librettos.
Visit to the Seminary Library is only possible upon prior announcement.