Let's go to Vrhnika
The town of Vrhnika influenced the history of the nearby Ljubljana to a great extent. The Ljubljanica River springs in Vrhnika, and the strategically important Roman settlement Nauportus were located here. Vrhnika is also known as the birthplace of one of the greatest Slovenian writers, Ivan Cankar.
Check out what you can experience in Vrhnika and its surroundings. Take a trip and share your photos with a hashtag #Ljubljanaregion.
- My Ljubljanica is a very interesting permanent museum exhibition, which portrays the rich heritage of the Ljubljanica River. There are over 400 original historical objects, which were found in the Ljubljanica riverbed by the archaeologists and during the researching, the pre-historic crannog remains in the Ljubljana Marshes.
- The Planina nad Vrhniko is one of the most popular easy hiking destinations in this part of Slovenia and a crossroads of several mountain trails. The viewing tower offers a wonderful view of the surroundings and the alpine peaks in the distance.
A post shared by Zoran L Trojar (@zokus_gf) on Aug 30, 2018 at 3:20am PDT
Best photo spots
- The top of Planina nad Vrhniko is forested and doesn't offer many views, but a 22 meters high viewing tower is set on it, offering a fantastic, 360-degree view, including the surrounding hills, the panorama of Vrhnika and the Ljubljana Marshes, all the way to Ljubljana. Because of the distance, a more powerful equipment will be needed for a good shot. The phone camera is enough just for some basic photo memories.
- The Kuren tourist farm is located on a hill not far from Planina, next to St. Nicholas church. The edge of the meadow between the farm and the church offers a beautiful view of the part of the Ljubljana Marshes and towards Ljubljana. The view is similar to the one from Planina, only a bit more limited, but due to its position, you can make a good photo already with the phone.
- Retovje: the Ljubljanica springs are not too photogenic due to their position under the rocks and in the shade of trees, but, especially on higher water, some good motives can be caught. The dam across the river is definitely one of them. If you drive by car to the end of the village and descend to the water, you can capture the nice old house standing by the water, in the direction of the stream.
- The Bistra springs and the Bistra Castle with a beautifully landscaped garden provide nice photographic motives, however, you should pay attention to the light as their location is in the shade for the larger part of the day.
- The ponds near the old Brickhouse next to the Ljubljanica River are interesting but it is necessary to find the right access. On a short stroll around the ponds, you will definitely find some beautiful photographic motives. Most of them can be captured in spring, autumn and winter with snowy or frozen ponds, in the morning or in the evening.
What do the surroundings offer?
- The Pekel Gorge is located in the Borovnica Municipality and attracts its visitors with its scenic waterfalls.
- The former monastery or the castle buildings in a scenic environment, surrounded by a park, a pond and an educational forest trail is a home to The Technical Museum of Slovenia with large museum collections and representations of technical heritage.
- The Bevke Nature Trail is an excellent starting point for independently exploring the Ljubljana Marshes. This lovely and scenic path of 6 km is equipped with information boards with the natural and historic heritage of the Marshes.
Let's eat and drink something delicious
- The Gostilna Bajc Restaurant offers dishes with fresh ingredients. The selection is varied, and the chef’s choice of the month is also available.
- The Stara kašča is a scenic restaurant in the old part of the Vrhnika, which is known for the traditional Slovenian dishes. You can try Vrhnika štruklji with prunes.
- The Human Fish Brewery offers you a tasting of excellent local craft beer.
We recommend own transportation for your trip to Vrhnika, where a large extent of the experiences is located in its surroundings.
You can also experience Vrhnika and its surroundings on the following day trips from Ljubljana:
Where to sleep?
- The Mantova Hotel at Vrhnika is known for welcoming ambience, comfort and a relatively quick access from the highway.
- The Gostilna Bajc Restaurant offers lovely accommodation and a car rental possibility besides their quality culinary offer.
- The Mesec Family inn offers a relaxing stay in the countryside with homemade farming dishes and a family-friendly offer.