The lake of Zbiljsko jezero is an artificial lake created in 1953, when the Sava river was dammed to provide water for the hydroelectric power station in the town of Medvode. Apart from being a tourist attraction, the lake provides an important habitat for numerous bird species.

Next to Lake Zbilje there is a boat hire outlet. On the lake shore there are several cafés and a children's playground.

The village of Zbilje was first mentioned in 1311. Its Church of St. John the Baptist (Cerkev sv. Janeza Krstnika) has since it was built (1883-1884) been visited by pilgrims. Its main altar, made in 1665, originates from the church which previously stood on the site of the present church.

By the bridge over the Lake of Zbiljsko jezero – Na Brodu (on a Ford) – stands the sign of Šimenčkovo znamenje.

The Way of the Cross (Kalvarija) from 1772 leads to the nearby hill (515 m), where the ruins of the old castle of Smlednik lie. 14 chapels are set along the Way.

Nearby 4 / 20

Load more Loading nearby points of interest