Sheltered from rain by a movable canvas roof, the Križanke Summer Theatre is Ljubljana's most popular outdoor concert venue. Due to its central location and excellent acoustics, it hosts most prestigious musical events.
The site of the Križanke Summer Theatre was originally occupied by a large monastery complex, the seat of the Order of Teutonic Knights, who settled in Ljubljana early in the second half of the 13th century. At the beginning of the 18th century, the original early Gothic Church of the Knights of the Cross (Križevniška cerkev) was replaced by a Baroque church designed by the Italian architect Domenico Rossi. The post-World War II authorities evicted monks and assigned the monastery complex to the event management company Ljubljanski festival and Ljubljana's Secondary School of Design and Photography.
The redesign of the monastery complex, inspired by the work of Renaissance architects, was entrusted to the then 80-year-old architect Jože Plečnik. The rebuilding took place from 1952 to 1956. A number of windows were built into the walls surrounding the complex to enable views from the outside. An exhibition space for the archaeological remains was built next to the church. The so called Infernal Yard (Peklensko dvorišče), located behind the church, was converted for use as a chamber event venue and decorated with an originally designed paving and interesting wall lamps. Plečnik's students Anton Bitenc and Viktor Molk built a summer theatre on the site of the former monastery garden, and Plečnik a restaurant in the complex's main yard.