Hauptmann House was built in 1873. It was one of the city's few buildings to survive the great earthquake of 1895 almost unharmed. After the earthquake, it was bought by the local paint merchant Adolf Hauptmann, who commissioned the architect Ciril Metod Koch to redesign the façade and roof.
The house was rebuilt in 1904 in the Viennese Secession style, fashionable at the time. The façade was decorated with a geometric pattern of coloured ceramic tiles in contrasting green, blue and red tones.
The building is not open to tourists.